From Unofficial Handbook of the Virtue Universe
Zeal Drain was created as just another alt, meant to waste time when bored. On the brink of deletion, he was given one more try to be something to stand out and he succeeded.
Zeal draws some influence from Shikamaru from Naruto, coining the word 'troublesome' and evolving it into his own. He also is influenced by Caboose of Red vs Blue in the way that they both act awkwardly the same sometimes.
|Art by Graff|
|Real Name:||Lindsey Solstic|
|Known Aliases:||Zeally, Zee|
|Occupation:||Hero, Freedom Corps Liaison, The Tomorrow Project Leader|
|Place of Birth:||Baltimore, Maryland|
|Base of Operations:||Steel Canyon|
|Known Relatives:||John Solstic (Father), Lisa Solstic (Mother), Alan Garcia (Uncle, deceased)|
|Illusions/Psi Draining/Psi Shields/Psionic Blast/Flight|
|No additional information available.|
Zeal Drain is always nervous. Afraid and uncertain of himself, his abilities and what people think about him. He's very nice to those around him and always strives to do the right thing. Normally anything that seems to cause him to be uncomfortable, he claims to be 'troublesome,' often using the word to describe things most people would be comfortable with. He does, however, have a huge heart and he would be more than willing to help anyone out if asked.
Zeal is almost always chipper and happy. He always thinks the best of everyone and everything- except for villains. Though this does lead him to be very gullible in many cases. Along with this, he will be overly excited about many things and often describe them as "Super Cool!", "Nifty-cool!", and "Super Awesome!" And anytime he remembers something/is offended/is excited he will shout out "Ohmigosh!" as the start of any sentence.
Zeal Drain is also very passionate about his heroing and puts it first before anything else. His friends are also very important to him, prompting Zeal to do mostly anything they ask so long as he doesn't consider it troublesome. He is so passionate about it that he sometimes finds it hard to pull himself away from it sometimes, even to the point that he loses sleep, lunch time, and time with friends because of it.
Due to Zeal's nervousness, he sometimes begins many of his sentences with "Uh," "Um," or "Err." He tends to shy away from speaking his mind and will often sugar coat things or dodge a subject if he can. Also due to this, if a girl is in an outfit that shows too much skin for his liking, he'll blush and look away from them. If he seems irked or nervous about something, Zeal will normally lie about it so he doesn't have to explain it.
Zeal used to be extremely lazy; so lazy that he used to ask people for drinks all the time... even if he was closer to getting it. This was mainly due to his condition where he never had energy. He'd always try to find the easiest way out of something, even if it didn't get done fully just so he didn't have to do anything more than he needed to.
He's gotten much less lazy though, being perfectly fine in going out of his way to do things. He'll usually do the bare minimum still, but he has managed to be able to get his own drinks now.
Zeal's cop out for anything he doesn't like is 'troublesome.' He'll use it to describe most anything. He got the term from his uncle who used to use it in a joking manner, but Zeal put a much more serious spin on it. He uses the word as though it should explain himself, and when asked how something is troublesome, he'll wonder why the word 'troublesome' doesn't explain it itself.
Many of Zeal's friends joke about his bountiful use of the word, while Zeal is mostly oblivious that they're joking about it, convinced it's a legitimate excuse for things. They'll even sometimes use the word in conversation just for him too.
Sometimes Zeal will use a few other phrases to substitute 'troublesome.' Sometimes he'll use the word 'bothersome' or call things a 'drag.' His most used phrases are "How troublesome," "What a bother," and "What a drag."
Correcting Curse Words
Each time someone says a curse word, Zeal corrects them and replaces it with a much more wholesome word, even if he has to go to some ridiculous extents to make it fit. One simple word is all he says, boggling people mostly. People usually ask him what he's saying or react in an irritated manner, but it's never stopped Zeal from still correcting them relentlessly. After all, cursing is troublesome.
A reaction that Zeal sometimes gets from this is a large string of curse words in a row in an attempt to tick him off. Zeal, however, just ignores that for the most part. No point in correcting that because it wasn't meant to be a part of conversation and just as a form of annoyance.
Zeal Drain uses his powers to do just what his name implies. He drains the will to fight from all of his enemies. He does this by using his ability to sap energy and courage from people to make it his own and by utilizing his powers of illusions to put his foes into a stupor of fear and confusion. He now also uses psychic powers to do this also, having recently gained them.
Zeal used to need to drain energy from people in order to be alert and awake, now it is simply used to give himself a boost if he needs it. He drains the energy from his foes to make sure they lack the strength to truly fight at their peek as well as stunting their movement. Zeal also has the ability to drain just a little bit of his enemies' energy to produce a surge of soothing energy to all of his allies.
Zeal has always had psychic abilities, but for the most part they've been latent. Only shown out in certain ways, he used to be only to do a few things with them. However, upon getting his energy fixed so he had the normal amount, his psychic powers were realized now that his lack of energy didn't stunt them.
As far as normal psychic powers are, he isn't powerful at all. He can only do a few basic things outside his illusions, flying, and psi draining. He does well speaking telepathically but has problems doing other advanced telepathic technique for a long time, and he suffers at being able to levitate things too far- especially if they're heavy. Using his psychic powers to mess with people's heads past illusions is also an issue for him, and he was so frustrated with it that he simply gave up and decided to keep using his illusions primarily instead.
Zeal's illusions come in a wide array of tricks. He can blind his opponents or show them great fear. He can also make his enemies see multiple copies and feel great pain without actually causing it. For non-combat purposes, he uses it to make himself invisible to those around him or show people more pleasant things or tricks. He is extremely potent with his illusion powers by all the practice he's had and can make illusions on people without even putting forth much effort or focus.
On top of his energy draining, Zeal can do psi draining also. Basically, psi draining is when he can drain certain parts of a person's mind, primarily their courage. He can take one person's courage and give it to himself and others. This is just another method he uses to make sure that the opponent's will to fight is even more blunted.
Zeal also uses his psychic powers to unleash a shield of energy around himself to send anyone who comes close to him flying away. This also blunts many attacks that are sent at him, though it isn't too strong at all. He sometimes puts this up when he's hanging around and people seem to be a little rough with others, making him uncomfortable enough to put up a shield to make sure they don't go into his personal space. He has also used his Psi Shield as a battering ram of sorts, being able to knock people away with the power of his shield.
Zeal has begun to create psionic blasts by channeling any of the psychic energy he usually uses for shielding to attacking. He uses it to attack the mind and body all at once, but mostly as an alternative should he need it more than his other powers. Though weak now, Zeal has steadily been growing more powerful with it.
Zeal one day woke up floating. This likely happened due to his latent psychic abilities which hadn't been realized yet. But since then he's decided to fly as much as possible, as at the beginning of his heroing career he would continually trip and fall. Rarely will you catch him not floating in the air. The only excuse he gives is "standing and walking are troublesome."
Zeal's weaknesses are fighting robots. He hates robots, as they don't succumb well to his illusion abilities and he can't use their energy for his own use. He is also very physically weak, unable to really do anything strong without the help of his psychic abilities. And even then, it's barely anything that reaches outside the normal human bounds. He takes physical blows much harder than he does projectiles, as his psi defenses can't protect against those at all. This explains why he's normally in the air to avoid melee range when in fights.
As for personality weaknesses, his feelings are very easily hurt due to his past where he was constantly teased and made fun of. Past that, he also has a hard time speaking up for himself unless it's something he feels very passionately about.
Full Character Origin Story: Zeal Drain's Origin: Life is Troublesome
Lindsey Solstic started out as a shy and lazy child. He wouldn't want to play with any other children and just wanted to sleep all the time. In school he was seen as the weird kid, mainly because he would always fall asleep in class and never wanted anything to do with any of the other kids. In his later years, he was constantly teased and picked on. Mostly, they used his first name to make female-centric insults.
His parents assumed there was something wrong with him either mentally or physically and tried to find help from various psychiatric doctors and physicians. Unfortunately, none of them could find what was wrong. They essentially spent all of their funds going to various doctors and psychiatrists to get him out. Most of them had no profit to their investments.
With heavy heart, they eventually sent Lindsey to live with his Uncle Al because the boy was eating up too much of their money with finding a cure and it was causing arguments and rocking their marriage. Lindsey didn't want to go, but he wasn't too afraid as he knew his uncle and he was essentially the only person to ever bother making him feel normal. So he left Boston and moved to Paragon City, Rhode Island in order to live with his Uncle Al.
Path to Being a Hero
Lindsey quickly noticed all of the heroes in Paragon and realized it wasn't a normal place. Not much changed in school, as he continued to be teased and taunted by the kids, but his home life was much better. Lindsey's uncle was much more sympathetic to his condition and never made him see any doctors or psychiatrists. Instead, he ended up having fun with the boy and even encouraged him to try more in school and get better grades. He even got him to exercise often too. Lindsey was having a much easier time coping and living with his problems, and his uncle always gave him the reassurance that it would get better.
When the Rikti Invasion came to Paragon, Lindsey's uncle sent the boy to a shelter and told him he would be back. A worried and fearful Lindsey constantly wondered about where his uncle was and why he wasn't taking cover also. All was well when the Invasion was through, as his uncle came back as he promised and they lived life as normally as they could.
Beginning Anew as Zeal Drain
When Lindsey was eighteen, his Uncle Al passed away from heart failure. His nephew was so distraught by his loss that he immediately withdrew out of school and didn't do anything but loaf around his house until the funeral was around. He stayed at the funeral, but didn't speak much. To him, it seemed like his already sub par life had crumpled apart.
Lindsey saw his uncle's will though, and he was told he would get all of his uncle's assets and money. His uncle also left him a note detailing how he knew he would get better and learn to live much more normally. Lindsey was confused and saddened by this, especially at the note at the end telling him to look for a shoe box in the closet.
Lindsey went home and ran into one of his old high school bullies. The boy taunted and teased him about dropping out and mentioned his uncle, sending Lindsey off the deep end and for the first time in his life, he stood up for himself and tackled the boy to the ground, punching him repeatedly. Then, when he pulled his fist back for another punch, a flare of energy went between Lindsey and the bully. Lindsey felt alive, strong, and full of energy for the first time in his life. He was amazed and shocked, while the bully was weakened and in no case to fight back anymore. Lindsey quickly got off of the boy and ran back to his home, confused as ever and determined to look in that shoe box.
When he arrived and opened it, he saw various pictures of a man named Energy Siphon, who turned out to be his Uncle Al. There were many pictures and newspaper clippings of him saving the day, some with Paragon's best. The realization set in, and so many things were explained. His uncle was a hero with the same powers as him. Over the next few days, Lindsey studied the pictures to learn how he could drain energy consistently and during that time, he decided he wanted to be a hero like his uncle.
Though nervous at first, he took on the mantle of Zeal Drain and has went by it ever since. He went with the name because with his illusions and energy sapping, it would drain the zeal out of all his enemies. After a rocky start of heroing, Zeal stuck with it even though he wanted to quit a few times. His illusions became more potent and his energy draining was becoming more pin point and stronger. And even his ability to fly was getting much easier to control. Things were looking up as Zeal Drain began to be one of the finest heroes Paragon City had to offer.
Dating Fist Fight
Zeal Drain met and became very close to a fellow heroine named Fist Fight. She was sweet, kind, if not a little goofy and seemed to like Zeal as much as he seemed to like her. Eventually, Zeal painfully gathered enough courage to ask the girl out, and they proceeded to date.
They were almost complete opposites, but they managed to be rather happy for a long while. They went on some dates, and Zeal would give her gifts including a nice necklace. Fist Fight was Zeal's first and only girlfriend, and things as simple as a kiss were new things to him, and he loved it. His self esteem began to boost and he felt much better about himself because of it.
However, one day Fist Fight attempted to kill Jade Ohm, another hero, while under orders from the people who experimented on her. The assassination was thwarted and she was sent to jail. Soon after Zeal found out and became a wreck, she was broken out of jail by Graffiti Samurai and Jordan Norris. Zeal Drain hear about this and was instantly conflicted.
Zeal found Fist Fight soon after the break out and confronted her. He cared for her deeply, but wasn't sure if he could let her free. Finally, he decided he'd fight to take her in. While he succeeded in defeating her, he couldn't bring himself to turn her into jail. Instead, he housed her until Jade Ohm could come and talk to her. Jade decided Fist Fight would need to turn herself in, and the girl complied. She was released on a sort of parole with the Zenvious Foundation and Zeal and Fist Fight continued their relationship.
Zeal soon joined The Zenvious Foundation, but he talked to Fist Fight and asked why she hadn't been in Paragon for a while. She usually had excuses, but eventually she broke and admitted she was saying in the Rogue Isles to be a villain, citing that she wasn't treated nicely in Paragon. Zeal Drain, angry that he was lied to and that his girlfriend had given up so easily, took offense to that. He claimed that since she broke her patrol and freely admitted to him that she stole things from people, he would arrest her if he saw her outside of Pocket D.
They met again in the D and they spoke of the subject again. Eventually, Fist Fight challenged Zeal to fight her in Warburg and he took up that challenge. He fought her and bested her in battle, then fought off one of her friends who tried to save her as well. He had Fist Fight arrested, though he felt bad about the whole ordeal because he assumed that meant he was a bad boyfriend.
Becoming Hero of the City
Zeal Drain became a member of the Zenvious Foundation and began making many friends in the group. His life was beginning to bounce back after the debacle regarding his ex-girlfriend. During this time, Zeal Drain continued to fight crime consistently and just as good as ever.
He became much better friends with Fist Fight's brother, Graffiti Samurai. Oddly enough, the issue brought the two closer together enough for the two to become best friends. He became better friends with his fellow heroes too, gaining his confidence back slowly.
As he went up the ladder of Security Levels, he began fighting more of Paragon's toughest enemies. Leaders of groups and the Praetorians began to be locked up by Zeal and anyone else who would aid him. Then in a large crime fighting rush one night, he finally hit the highest security clearance possible and was rewarded with the title of "Hero of the City." Zeal was elated, as he felt this was a great accomplishment in his heroing career.
Soon after becoming Hero of the City, Zeal decided he wanted an operation on his genetics. The operation would make it so Zeal didn't need to drain energy from people in order to function normally. He would have energy just like anyone else would, but he would retain his energy draining powers so he could continue to fight crime.
Working with D.A.T.A. to have the operation done among talking with other people, Zeal had a successful surgery. He had his friend Graff help him to the hospital and going home, but as he was going home, he had a massive migraine. The headache was so intense, Zeal went unconscious and he went into a comatose state.
In his mind, there was a copy of himself which told him he needed to create a mindscape and rearrange his mind until he could come back to consciousness. This iteration of Zeal, however, convinced him to close out all of his anxiety from his person.
Once he awoke, Zeal spoke to Graff and seemed more outgoing, less shy, and less concerned about anything troublesome. He went on acting the same, only he was less concerned about other people's feelings as well. He began to drive all of his friends away with his abrasive attitude and decided that when they got upset with him, it was because of his friends not really being his friends anyway. However, the only thing that really convinced him was his clone-esque figure in his mind, acting as an id to tell him exactly what Zeal would want.
His friends Little Flame (Sonya), and Little Zoe both tried to help Zeal fix his broken psyche, but they both failed and Zeal had all but alienated himself from anyone who mattered aside from Sunder Shock, Ashley Dunlap, who he managed to get a date with due to his boost in confidence. He also played a suck up greatly to Zenvious, Mr. Zen. Jade Ohm among others tries to convince him to change back to how he was, but he didn't listen to any of the advice, his id telling him not to.
Zeal found himself at this point grinding away at his former best friend Graffiti Samurai's last nerve. He would egg him on until finally it came to head in the Zenvious Foundation. The two had a big fight, tearing up part of the foundation as they did. During the fight though, something had cracked in Zeal and his mind simply broke. All of the thoughts he kept inside began bouncing about in his mind. The two simply got into fist fights and weakly pounded on each other until they were broken up.
Jade Ohm checked on Zeal, who in his shattered mind kept mumbling incoherently and seemingly having a conversation to himself. As she tried to calm him, Little Zoe was on her way and by Zeal's request, she put him asleep so he could rearrange his mind once more. He locked up his id and arranged it so he wouldn't lock up his feelings anymore.
He awoke again and spoke to everyone he had offended during his episode of mental weakness and they all forgave the boy, understanding completely.
Life With Energy
After the entire ordeal, Zeal Drain went to a psychiatrist to help deal with what he did, being too upset to go back to being social. Slowly, with the help of his friends, he was back to talking to all of his friends regularly again. During his recovery, he began to do hero work on a more focused level. He was able to take on tougher missions and start gaining notoriety for his deeds. Freedom Corps took great note of this, keeping an eye on Zeal for a while to see how much he was actually proving himself as a hero.
As time went on, Zeal became less nervous and more comfortable with everything around him. The operation to give him energy was a complete success and he was enjoying life without needing to sap energy from people and being able to live like a normal person would. His laziness died down and he started acting more mature because of it. His enthusiasm grew like it did when he had drained someone's energy, and he was usually that enthusiastic at all times. Zeal's life just being a hero was better than ever for him because of this.
As much as Zeal had been focusing when he was getting his life organized, he went a level further when the Rikti Invasion happened. Knowing how valiantly his uncle fought during the last invasion, he made a stride to do him proud. Barely resting for long, he fought during the invasion relentlessly the full two weeks. It got to the point where Rikti would begin to grow a special hatred for the boy, not only due to his irritating tactics, but because he seemed to be in so many places at once.
Vanguard commended him on his efforts as well as Freedom Corps, who after the Invasion offered Zeal a high ranking position in the organization. This surprised Zeal as he never had much faith in himself or his own abilities, but he quickly took the offer.
The position in Freedom Corps entitled Zeal to various Freedom Corps benefits as well as allowing him to see more of Paragon's best heroes, even working with some of them occasionally. Normally, Zeal would just turn on his Freedom Corps frequency and they'd call him all day to do advanced or very important work they don't trust with other heroes. Zeal loved this position as it gave him a sense of worth and made him feel like he was doing an even bigger service as a hero.
This left Zeal Drain hardly any time to himself and he actually began to get bogged down by it all. He would get upset that he would get called upon to do things during lunch, having to actually eat his lunch while he was heading to stop his next crime. Luckily, his friend Graff among others told him that he should be able to give himself some time off aside from sleeping. Zeal, not sure about this, waited it out until he couldn't take it anymore and confirmed with one of the higher ups at Freedom Corps that he could simply turn off his comm when he didn't want to be called into work. Satisfied, Zeal complied and didn't have anymore problems with Freedom Corps, aside from being called upon at inopportune times.
He had other issues though. He wanted to learn to use his psychic powers more but he became disenchanted with it rather quickly, not being very good at it and figuring that if he couldn't use it in battle, there wasn't much use to use it at all. He didn't bother with it until he started to talk to Unchained Melodie who gave Zeal pointers on how to use his psychic powers. He was grateful, but still wasn't any good at it even when he tried. But for the basics, he could manage them well.
Dating Crimson Cutlass
During the Rikti Invasion, Zeal had grown closer to Ishikawa Michiko and he even bashfully asked the girl out. They were to have their date the day the Rikti invaded, but unfortunately they realized their work as heroes took more priority. However, even though they managed to become very close during the war, Michiko realized she cared too much for another and called off their date before it happened. This upset Zeal who reacted in a rather upset manner, then sunk down into depression.
Eventually, Zeal talked to Graffiti Samurai about it and he helped cheer the illusionist up. Zeal however, was convinced he didn't want to go out with anyone else. In response, Graff pointed out that Crimson Cutlass may have had a crush on him. Zeal knew her from a few things he ran with her in the Rikti War Zone as well as from the Neverender Fight Nights. Zeal was boggled and he definitely disagreed, even laughing at the prospect of it. His friend told him it was worth a shot, and though it may be suspected that Graff just wanted to poke fun at his pirate friend, Zeal went along with it anyway.
He asked Crimson out and much to his surprise, she accepted. He didn't quite get it, but he wasn't about to complain. They went on a date in Gemini Park, and even though it got interrupted by Rikti, they ended up having a really good time. They were a bashful couple, and while they were both taken with each other, they still wanted to keep their relationship a secret, leading to many awkward moments.
They soon grew closer and finally admitted they were going out, even though it was obvious to most everyone. Most of the Dread Aces didn't really trust Zeal too much, assuming he was a sneaky psychic hero out to get Crimson and the crew. But this slowly began to subside when Zeal tried to help Vexx Vandal with his psychic powers, despite them being very poor. It was at this point that they all began to trust Zeal and even become friends with him.
Zeal and Crims kept having many dates, being a very happy and content couple despite Zeal's obvious nervousness and intimacy issues. This kept happening until Crimson was kidnapped by Nemesis and her mind was taken over by a powerful psychic who wanted to research Zeal and Vexx, as well as research Mick Hawkeye's psionic altering drugs. Zeal madly did all he could to help find out information about his girlfriend from Paragon and wasted all of his energy every day trying to get a light psychic connection to reassure her everything would be alright.
Eventually, the Aces with the help of Unchained Melodie were able to ward off the psychic and Crimson was fine. This brought the two of them much closer though, taking their relationship to the next level. Zeal and Crims used the word 'love' to describe their relationship. The two of them continued to date, more happy than ever as Crimson tried to help Zeal deal with his obvious intimacy problems, being patient with him and helping him slowly get over them. It made Zeal grateful for that as he confided with his friends Graffiti Samurai and Fearghas in order to help him get to the next step in his relationship.
Zeal and Crims' relationship was beginning to falter due to Zeal being in Paragon and Crims being in the Rogue Isles. While Zeal didn't see many problems, Crims usually did. She cited that he wasn't able to get close enough to him and that because he was usually heroing all the time, he had a problem with scheduling things to do with her. Not to mention some of the things with the Zenvious Foundation kept his schedule blocked also. Zeal felt very bad and tried his best to rectify this issue. He started to take her out more, setting up days where he'd call off from Freedom Corps in order to spend more time with her. He even invited her to the Foundation members Jade Ohm and Psi Monk's wedding. The two became happy with their relationship after that, able to comfortably spend time with each other happily.
Meanwhile with the Zenvious Foundation, there was an incident with a botched Circle of Thorns ritual due to Mechanizm's interference. It ended up turning Mechanizm into a child again, shocking most everyone in the Foundation. Zenvious then came to the aid of him with a few others, going to their magic wing to try and perform a ritual to get them turned back into his proper age. However, a few things were messed up during the ritual, one of which being Zeal Drain humming and being a little distracting to Zenvious during it. The ritual failed and erupted in a small explosion, leaving the assembled shocked. Zeal quickly went to a few of the Foundation's aid, as some felt rather sick. But when he did, he saw that most of the Foundation was turning into children.
Zeal was stressed out, soon realizing that he was the only one who was still an adult and deciding he needed to take up the responsibility of baby sitting. He had help for a while in Little Zoe who had actually grown up from the ritual instead, but she ended up getting upset - partially due to Zeal too - and ran off despite Zeal's begging for her to stay. Luckily Neo Sniper replaced her to help Zeal out. He was having a hard time keeping control of them and having an even harder time keeping himself calm. Zeal kept as many of them from trouble as he could by making them stay where they were, which didn't go well for half of the 'kids.'
The next day he helped Zenvious and the others fix the ceremony and get them back to normal. Zeal kept absolutely quiet this time to ensure the success of it. Zeal felt extremely stressed about the whole thing, hoping that this would never ever happen again. But after it all, he made a very big realization: Kids were troublesome.
Zoe was upset that she had changed back into a girl again, a mutation in her body keeping her from aging properly. Zeal and Graff knew how upset Zoe was and decided that they would try and cheer her up and talk to her. Zeal thought he could convince her that she could still get help, but it only made her more upset because her and Zenvious had already asked everyone they could. Zoe then flew off away from them in a huff, leaving Zeal and Graff to talk. Zeal was hesitant to follow because he thought she would be easier to talk to tomorrow, but Graff was determined to bring her back and make her feel better now. And since Zeal was easily convinced, especially by his best friend, he went with him.
Zeal and Graff followed her, trying to make her talk to him but failing due to her anger as she kept trying to avoid the two boys. Zeal decided this method wouldn't work and went with his first thought, telling Zoe if she promises to go back home soon, then they'd quit following her, as all they cared about at this point was her safety. She never promised, but she did go back anyway. Unfortunately, she ran away the next day and got lost on the other side of the country for a while. Zeal felt bad as he assumed it was much of his fault that she ran off because him and Graff wouldn't quit bugging her that night. He was greatly relieved when she came back and immensely sorry that he upset her that day and the two remained friends.
Freedom Corps Liaison
Zeal Drain was asked by Freedom Corps to be a liaison between the Zenvious Foundation and Freedom Corps. He was accepted the promotion immediately but quickly became terrified of the position, not really sure what he was getting himself into. He began to worry about everything concerning and afraid of what may happen if he messed up. Luckily Zeal had his friends to talk his confidence back in him. Zeal felt much more confident in himself, but still afraid of messing up his new job.
Freedom Corps gave Zeal a ton of information and a very nice Freedom Corps outfit complete with Zeal's purple, black, and white color scheme. Zeal then grew a habit of bringing and pen and notepad to each meeting they held and writing down everything as fast as he could to keep up. He brought it too when Jet Falcon and Saint Helen helped Zeal with pointers on how to make speeches much easier to give since Zeal would need to give some occasionally. The last place he took his notepad was to talk with Zenvious and Kaijitsu, both of which told him what they expected from him and reassured him that he would do a great job. It put a serious load off his shoulders and now he is doing his job as liaison, as stressful as it may be. But for now he hopes that that the work will become easier for him.
Breaking Up With Crimson
Zeal Drain has broken up with his girlfriend Crimson Cutlass. She told him that she would be going overseas to commit crimes on innocents, and Zeal begged her not to do it, but she refused citing that she needed to for her father's memory. He said that she could just steal from bad people still, which she refused also. So finally Zeal asked her if she stole anything from the people of Paragon, and she said only before they dating, prompting Zeal to break up with her and telling her that if he sees her in Paragon again, that he'd need to arrest her. Crimson then parted with them both still having feelings, but both being very upset. Zeal even more because he was very disappointed in Crimson's decision and thought she was better than that.
Zeal took the break up hard, but managed through it. It reminded him way too much of his break up with Fist Fight, which hurt him even more. It was hard for him to get over it but he had Jade and Graff help him through it and give him support. They talked through it with Zeal and gave him support. Jade specifically telling him that she was very proud for the decision he made helped him put confidence behind him. And Graff hanging out with him for a while helped Zeal have a day without it on his mind. After that, Zeal decided to bury himself in his Freedom Corps work in order to keep his mind away from Crimson.
The Degeneration Project: Part 1
Full Story: The Degeneration Project: Part 1
Zeal was upset about his break up with Crimson, so he spent less time around the Zenvious Foundation and more time helping himself get over it. He eventually decided to take all the photos that he found in his uncle's shoe box he left for him to make a scrap book for him. During this, he ended up finding a big folder full of information on something called The Degeneration Project. Zeal read it and became obsessed with it, trying to understand everything inside.
This affected his hero work greatly. He lost on sleep and would only do one thing for Freedom Corps if possible. As he got further and further, he got more disturbed at the contents of this file. He asked Freedom Corps if they had any information on it but they didn't, much to Zeal's surprise. He realized his uncle kept this a secret for a reason, and it soon became evident. His uncle stopped writing these reports one day before he died, horrifying Zeal.
Soon Zeal decided he would try to finish what his uncle started. He began to focus entirely on using any lead he had from those files to end this, but soon found that it was very difficult. The same heart failure his uncle had, he saw in all of the people he went to speak to. Each of them were either dead or in a coma. Zeal was mortified, but didn't give up. He kept using every day to try and find something on this but ultimately failed. He soon realized he was neglecting his hero duties and his friends for this venture and ended up not focusing so much on it, but keeping it in the background. Zeal was still extremely determined to finish this case for the memory of his uncle.
Learning to Blast
Zeal began to think that he should start to try and hone his psychic powers differently. He would often have trouble using his powers against some enemies with his illusions and draining and began to think he should use it more offensively.
Since Zeal couldn't use his powers to manipulate people's minds more than illusions, he started to develop a way to use it to attack his opponents. He ended up channeling all of his psionic energy into bursts and released them, effectively using Psychic Blasts to attack his opponents. He was certain this skill would come in handy sometime.
The Zenvious Foundation
- Brian Shadow - Zeal recently met Brian, and even though his powers strike him as weird and peculiar, he knows he's a nice guy. Zeal always likes hanging out with him and enjoys his company well.
- Bullet Bob - Self-proclaimed leader of the Zeal Drain fan club. Zeal isn't sure if there really is a fan club or who is in it, but he's certain that fanboys can be just as troublesome as fangirls.
- Empyre - Devon, or Empyre is a really nice girl. Zeal sees a lot of her in him, being that she's just as clumsy and awkward as he is. He knows she is nice and very polite, but doesn't know about the rest of her though, often being confused when she talks about things. He's still waiting to find out what exactly Tex Mex is.
- Hero Prime - Mike Mars as he knows him by has been a very positive drive in the Zenvious Foundation, making him one of the first people to turn to in the group- including Zeal. He's always thought Mike was a great guy and while he isn't really that close to him, he usually enjoys hanging out or being around him. He isn't sure what 'frak' means, but he does know one thing: He hates Martin.
- Jade Ohm - Zeal considers Jade the closest thing he has to a mother now. Her maternal instinct has helped Zeal with any problems or uncertainties he's had and she's always been able to give him a boost of confidence each time they talked. Jade has once told Zeal that she wishes she could have been his mother. Zeal has always considered it one of the best compliments he's ever received.
- Jet Falcon - Although Jet has an ability to rub Zeal the wrong way, often times due to him swearing copiously after he corrects him, he likes and respects Jet. Dr. Falcon has always been one of the few people who could make Zeal flustered enough for him to speak against when he's upset. Past that, he doesn't mind Jet's company at all and trusts in his ability to protect him and anyone else in the Foundation.
- Kaijitsu - Miss Kaijitsu, as Zeal usually calls her, makes Zeal only slightly uncomfortable. The woman has a good heart, but when she gets angry it shows. Unfortunately, since Zeal has seen her vicious glares before, he has grown a fear of ever angering her and often advises people not to upset her either. Although he can't shake his fear of ever making her the least bit upset, Zeal likes Kaijitsu and respects her greatly.
- Kid - Zeal's biggest fan and leader of the Zeal Drain fan club. Unfortunately, Zeal thinks fans and his fan club are all troublesome. And even though Kid admires him, he's still not quite sure how to deal with having as big of a fan as him.
- Little Flame - Sonya is another very good friend of Zeal. She had always been willing to help him out and although she is rather young, Zeal considers her one of his best friends. She is able to give him a lot of advice and has been a constant bolster for Zeal's confidence.
- Little Miss Vagary - This troublesome girl has always seemed to be very friendly with Zeal for whatever reason. She often pounces on him with a hug each time she sees him, and he usually hugs back amiably. Though he doesn't really know how to deal with a little girl, he likes to be around her. Though he is also driven away sometimes by her troublesome antics and questions.
- Little Zoe - Zoe was always brought a smile to Zeal's face. Though Zoe's sometimes troublesome and teasing nature makes Zeal feel a bit awkward, he sees her as a very good friend who he would be more than willing to go out of his way for. He also can't get over how cute Zoe is, often having the ^_^ face on at all times when she's around.
- Maggie Accident - Zeal and Maggie have been close ever since he joined the Zenvious Foundation. He has always respected her and thought it was amazing that she was always so intelligent. She has always been willing to help Zeal in any way she could and Zeal always wished he could repay her for always being so willing.
- Mechanizm - Mech has been there for Zeal more than once. Always confident in his abilities and his ability to help defend him when need be, Zeal has never once doubted victory when the two have fought together. He considers Mech a good friend and if he needed help with work, he would be one of the first he'd call upon.
- Saint Helen - Zeal likes Helen. She seems like a really nice girl. He doesn't really believe her much about her angel though, because angels aren't supposed to be as troublesome as hers. They don't know much about each other, but Zeal thinks she's fun to talk to. They have also promised each other to play Cooking Mama on the Wii recently, even though Zeal thinks it could be potentially troublesome.
- Sunder Shock - Ashley was probably Zeal's first real crush. This was likely due to her same liking for the color purple. He was goofy, shy, and all around embarrassed when he was around her. When he had his mind 'fixed,' it finally gave him the confidence to ask her out on a date. They ended up going to a sushi shop and had a very good time. The relationship never got past that though, and the two remain friends.
- Tempest Fist - Tempest, also known as Laurette, seems like a pretty nice girl. Despite Zeal always being weary of psychologists, he really likes her. He's often confused by how smart she is, and is actually astonished at how much work she does, but he still enjoys just hanging out with her. Although he really thinks she should make more time for herself away from work.
- Tempestra Silversong - Tempy is always fun to talk to according to Zeal. She's always so easily excited about the colors and shares Zeal's enthusiasm to just socialize. He thinks her outfits are extremely cute and that her wings are super cool. He doesn't know much about her, but he finds her to be an awesome person regardless.
- Zenvious - Leader of the Zenvious Foundation, he was the first one in the group to give Zeal encouragement and welcome him into the group. Zeal has always appreciated what a kind, friendly, and motivational man he is and often sees his own uncle in him. He was also the one who sparked the beginning of the forgiveness for Zeal after he recovered from his altered mind. He wishes he could repay the man for all of the kindness he has shown him.
- Cloudgazer - Skye is a rather peculiar fellow, but Zeal seems to like him because he's a nice guy. The first time they met, they wanted to trade things to remember themselves by through an idea of Skye. Zeal jumped at the opportunity to provide Skye with a Zeal Drain T-shirt, but neither Skye or Zeal have ever remembered a jar so Skye can give him a cloud.
- Dragonberry - Zeal was apparently engaged and set to get married with Dragonberry once. He was told he had the blessing from her hamsters and there were wedding invitations sent out and everything. Unfortunately Zeal stood her up at the alter apparently, but that didn't stop Dragonberry from trying to find him a new girlfriend. Unfortunately, she could only find prospects from Erotic Exiles, leaving Zeal a little timid and afraid of what may happen if he ends up in Dragonberry's presence. She's a very troublesome dragon girl.
- Fist Of Martial Fury - Fist seemed to be very impressed with all of the hero work Zeal has done, as he asked him for an autograph. Zeal himself was baffled because he didn't think he had any fellow heroes who looked up to him. But he gave him the autograph and promised him a Zeal Drain T-shirt as a mark of friendship.
- Flamedancer - Flamedancer or Kimi was the only person Zeal initially met that actually changed her outfit based on Zeal's claims of troublesome. She took off her scarf to cover her bothersome belly and the two of them became good friends after that. Flamedancer even made herself a Zeal Drain battle outfit that she sports, which made her one of Zeal's favorite people.
- Graff - Graff had always been there for Zeal anytime he had problems. He's always the first person Zeal looks to for advice and never has Graff steered him wrong. Always being the calmer and more level headed end of the discussion for Zeal, not to mention very patient, Graff grew to Zeal rather quickly. It came to the point that without any question, Graff is Zeal's best friend.
- Julia Lathan - Julia Lathan has always had an off and on relationship with Zeal. Half the time she is a friendly and nice girl, and the other half she usually tries to find ways to confuse or embarrass him, knowing his shy nature. He finds her to be very troublesome, but he knows that she's really a sweet girl and likes her anyway, as she was one of the first people to really get to know him. Despite all of this, Julia had a crush on him for a while and they decided they would date. She's still troublesome, but Zeal copes.
- Paracytica - Zeal likes Para, though he finds her sort of troublesome sometimes. She seems kind of weird but Zeal looks past it and enjoys her company anyway. He is confused by her mutation and doesn't really understand it, but thinks she should get it checked out. He also bought a Paralytica action figure too.
- Smoking Mirrors - A fellow psychic named Max seemed to admire Zeal a little. This kind of behavior usually bugs Zeal, but Max was a little more subtle with it. He gave Max a little encouragement about his psionic abilities and hopes that he stays friends with him for and sees a little bit of himself in Max due to their similar thoughts and interests. Plus, he bought a Zeal Drain T-Shirt, making him okay in Zeal's book.
- Starflux Girl - Zeal continuously thinks this girl has a crush on him, despite her being rather vocal about having no attraction to him. This hasn't stopped Zeal from being her friend though, even through the constant sarcastic remarks Zeal tends to miss. The girl still manages to hang out with him, even if she seems like she would rather not.
- Valorgirl - Penny, AKA Valorgirl was always nice to Zeal. She even helped him through of a few of his depressed states, aiding his confidence a bit. Because of this, Zeal grew a bit of a crush on Penny and once asked her out when she encouraged him to ask out another girl. She had a boyfriend at the time, so it didn't pan out. Though she did say that if she wasn't dating anyone, she's go out on a date with him... Zeal has never had the chance to cash in on that offer though.
- Wendy Olsen - Wendy is such a troublesome girl. But despite this, Zeal still likes the time he spends with her. He can't stress how troublesome he thinks her and her outfits are, but she's always been a good friend to him and very understanding of his former condition. He doesn't see her much now, but he loves to hang out with her still.
Rogue Isles Friends
- Ashigaru Tsuyama - Ashi is one of Zeal's earlier friends. Although they had a rocky start, Zeal eventually began to trust and be friends with the young man. He's been rather shocked to see him mature so quickly that it almost makes him feel like he should have matured himself.
- Crimson Cutlass - Zeal and Crims teamed up once for the Neverenders Fight Night once. They did a great job teaming, being a powerful force. Zeal and Crims called each other 'Fight Buddies' and the joke continued on during the other times they fought together. Since then, Zeal has gotten a lot closer to the sky pirate, considering her a very good friend. Eventually, when Zeal was down and almost wanted to give up on relationships forever, Graff convinced him to ask Crimson out and he did. Surprisingly, their relationship has worked out well, barring a few troublesome instances. The two were in love, happily enjoying their relationship for many months until Crimson had to tell Zeal she was going to steal from innocents. Zeal begged her not to, but she refused citing she had to for her father. Tearfully, the two broke up and upon hearing that Crims was stealing from Paragon before they were dating, Zeal told her that he would have to arrest her if he saw her in Paragon. This made Zeal distraught, but he still holds onto his feelings for her, as well as his disappointment.
- Fearghas - James has been amiable to Zeal all the time. Infact, he seems to have stuck up for him on more than one occasion. Zeal ended up being friends with James and even teamed with him once for the Neverenders Fight Night. Although he is from the Rogue Isles, Zeal would gladly help James out in any way he could. He sees James as a vague father figure and has once asked him a few awkward questions. And he doesn't think Fearghas' hair is troublesome at all.
- Fist Fight - While Zeal and Fist Fight ended their relationship on a very note, they've become at least civil with each other now. After Fist Fight broke out of jail in which Zeal was the one to arrest her, he held a grudge. Angry that she was still as selfish as ever, he simply took the time to avoid her when possible. But one day, Fist found Zeal and spoke to him, apologizing profusely about what she did. Since Zeal had been having a bad few days with people, he took this very well. He accepted her apology finally and now the two are on good terms.
- Ghost Scream - Ghost has been one of Zeal's awkward friends, not really sure what to think of him and often pointing out his flaws. This hasn't stopped Zeal from thinking she is a neat person though, and bothering her when he feels like it.
- Kichi - Although Zeal doesn't know Kichi that well, he enjoys talking to her because she's always so wise. She often offers good advice to him and Zeal feels he can use all the advice he can get. Though the two have had some major differences, as she prefers cherry soda to grape soda. And one can only imagine how that will affect their relationship in the future.
- Mick Hawkeye - Mick shares a love of Pokemon with Zeal, but Mick probably enjoys it a lot more than he does. Zeal is astonished by his all Bidoof team and questions whether or not it's as impressive as he says. Zeal was proven wrong when they had a Poke Battle of epic proportions, Mick coming out on top mostly thanks to his Bidoophiroth. They have promised to have another Poke Battle sometime though, once they have both improved their Trainer abilities.
- Poca Muerte - Petite is such a troublesome girl. But Zeal really likes her despite that. He loves to hang out with her when he can because she's always been nice to him from his early days of heroing. She used to be one of his primary sources of energy when he needed it and he'd never forget it.
- Unchained Melodie - This fellow psychic was skeptical of Zeal at first, finding him to be rather strange. After his mind was shattered and he came into his full psychic abilities, he spoke to her first, as his psychiatrist told him he should try using his psychic powers more. The woman ended up being very nice to Zeal and gave him various tips on how to properly use his psychic powers. He has come lengths in the way of his psychic abilities because of this. They have recently had a falling out though, mainly because Zeal had just found out that Melodie kills people for fun- effectively killing their friendship.
- Vexx Vandal - Vexx is Zeal's WoW (World of Warcraft) buddy. Vexx and Zeal started on bad terms when he tried to steal his wallet. They got over it and Zeal actually tried to help Vexx when his mind was altered by Arachnos. After that, Vexx seemed to have taking a liking to Zeal and the two really hit it off when Vexx mentioned World of Warcraft and while Zeal had canceled his account earlier, Vexx convinced him to reactivate his account and invited him to his guild. Recently Zeal has canceled his WoW account again because he was too busy. This makes Vexx sad.
Since Zeal became a psychic, he was forced to make a mindscape for himself before he could start functioning properly. The mindscape is a world Zeal keeps in his mind that he can retreat to, but the main purpose is to keep his mind and all the information inside organized. It is split up into various 'rooms'. Zeal is sent here each time he goes to sleep, making it so he can organize it accordingly. So he spends a lot of time inside it.
The Starry Hill
The first thing upon entering Zeal's mindscape is a hill with only a few trees about a meadow. It's a nice starry night, which each star is very visible, each bigger and brighter than some others. Each star represents a different memory of Zeal's life. The brightest stars are the ones that Zeal cares about and holds close to him. The more dim ones are ones he tries to suppress or just flat out forgets about. Just pointing out which star you want to see will make it come down as a small spherical light, and touching it will make the memory play fully before your eyes.
The Purple Lounge
There is a small, white door seemingly leading to nowhere on the Starry Hill. But upon entering it, you find yourself in a decently sized room with purple walls and two doors on the opposite end from the entrance. Between those doors is a very big screen that displays what Zeal has his mind on the most lately as though it was a photo. There is also a purple couch sitting in front of the screen, for relaxation purposes. Also to the left and right there are tables with a bunch of bobble-head dolls. On the left are anyone Zeal doesn't like in a bobble-head form, and on the right are all of Zeal's friends. To the back beside the entrances, there is a grape soda dispenser (because Zeal loves his grape soda) and an infinite wardrobe of purple attire. There is also a soccer ball along with other things Zeal really likes. Sitting in front of his huge screen is also every video game console- just so Zeal has something to do in there when he sleeps. Each of the doors by the screen are distinctly different though. The one on the left is a black color and stays closed at all times. The one on the right is a white color, and the door is always cracked open.
The Happy Place
Inside the white door is a culmination of every positive thing Zeal has going for him. When opened, you're transported into an illuminating, white world. It seems blank except for a bunch of see through bubbles depicting various things like memories and everything Zeal likes. Zeal almost never enters this place, mostly because of his bubbles being so delicate that they pop rather easily. If poked, they disappear for a long while, blunting Zeal's confidence and self-esteem and general happiness, but not without giving him a surge of the strong feelings he feels towards whatever he just popped. It also makes the memory or item much harder to enjoy until it is created again, which does take some time and mending for him when he's in his mindscape.
The Dark Classroom
Inside the black door is a darkened classroom, rustic and old. Inside is a young Lindsey Solstic sitting in class with a faceless teacher speaking. Often times Lindsey is called up to the front of the class to be ridiculed by everyone he knows or knew, sitting in all of the seats in class. This room portrays any uncertainty or negative thoughts Zeal has or has had in his life, be it true or not. Zeal never goes in there and has only done so to prove a point to someone when he had it locked up completely to save himself anxiety.
The Big Black Box
At the outskirts of the Starry Hill there is a lone box there, completely perfect in its design. It's pitch black and there seems to be no way to open it up. Inside is Zeal's id, the part of him that convinced him to keep pushing people away for his own happiness. Because Zeal realized this was bad and awful for him, Zeal locked away the id inside this box and keeps him there all the time so he isn't influenced by it any longer.
Lately though, the box was destroyed, allowing the id to come out from it's prison. The box was remade, however, mostly to keep the id warned that he can be placed back in there again at any time.
Zeal Drain T-Shirts
Graffiti Samurai has connections to people who make T-shirts, so when Zeal hit Level 50 Security Level, Graff said they wanted to market Zeal's popularity by putting out a T-shirt for him. It was a simple shirt- all purple with the Zeal Drain insignia on it (white infinity with a white circle around it).
The T-shirt caught on and began to become very popular. People all around Paragon bought the T-shirt; some because it was billed as a Zeal Drain T-shirt and others because it just looked cool. They've still been supplying stores with Zeal T-shirts and it's been going on for a while now.
Zeal also gives out Zeal T-shirts for his friends, having a whole box full of them at his home that he bought himself. But some notable heroes and villains buy some for themselves. These are the following heroes and villains of Paragon who have worn a Zeal Drain T-Shirt:
Zeal Drain T-Shirt Facts
- They are 100% Cotton!
- They come in all sizes!
- They only cost $11.99!
- They are great for any occasion & perfect for any gift!
- They are 100% less troublesome than the shirt you're wearing now!
- They are best selling in the teenage female demographic!
- They are popular in England too!
- You can now buy Zeal Drain swim trunks and a Zeal Drain bikini too!
It was very easy to make a soundtrack for Zeal Drain. Zeal's general "Shoot for the best!" attitude and his wanting to do his deceased uncle proud made his soundtrack easy to fill up. The two songs that highlight it are "Believe In Myself" and "Do Or Die," as they were the first two songs I thought emphasized Zeal's personality.
Side Note: Ignore the videos. I just linked to a video for the song.
- "Believe In Myself" - Karen Brake
- "Do Or Die" - Papa Roach
- "Self Esteem" - The Offspring
- "In the Shadows" - The Rasmus
- "More Than Fine" - Switchfoot
- "If You Could See Me Now" - P.O.D.
- "Live and Learn" - Crush 40
What Is Considered Troublesome?
...And many, many more things.