| Jack Slayton
| Agent of S.C.O.R.P.I.O.
| Player: Cyphre
| SCORPIO Intel
|| Executive Director (Simulated Colonel)
|| Mutant, AR/EM Blaster + DP/Kinetics Corruptor
| Security Level:
|| 48 (Blaster), 0 (Corruptor)
| Agent Personal Data
| Real Name:
|| Jack Niles Slayton
| Known Aliases:
|| Mr. Grey, Jackal, Dire Jackal
|| Human Mutant
|| 90 (born November 8th, 1918)
|| 6'1" / 220 lbs.
| Eye/Hair Color:
|| Grey / Grey
|| Citizen of the United States
| Current Residence:
|| Founder's Falls, Paragon City, RI
| Marital Status:
| Known Relatives:
|| Alan Slayton (elder brother, deceased), Matthew Slayton (younger brother, the mutant villain known as [CLASSIFIED]
| Known Powers
| Born with the ability to absorb kinetic energy that allows him to deliver devastating energy-enhanced punches and dramatically slows the process of aging in his body.
| Training / Abilities
| Navy Seal, CIA, Green and Black Beret Special Forces training, weapons and demolitions expert and vehicle specialist. Has black belt in Hapkido and training in Wing Chun Gung Fu.
| • Wrist comm unit|
• Head-Up Display, or "HUD"
• MediPort beacon
• Blackwand (gifted from a friend in The Midnight Squad)
• Anti-gravity harness
• Personal cloaking device
• S+W final edition 66 4" 357 combat revolver
• Custom uniform made of special 8-ply kevlar panels (able to withstand ballistic impact up to .45 caliber bullets) and "Atlex 5" a fire-resistant material that withstand temperatures of up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit
• Various automatic specialty rifles (prefers his SCORPIO-exclusive Silenced Merc. Assault Weapon, the Singer R-77)'
| Prefers scotch and brunettes
The character of Jack Slayton was an idea in the back of Cyphre's mind for over a year and was finally created (from a renamed + repurposed old character on Freedom) to become an important part of the themed paramilitary SG, S.C.O.R.P.I.O..
If (when!) Dual Pistols come out for heroes, there will be a second version of Jack created. Probably a Dual Pistols/Kinetics Corruptor
He is meant to be an "international man of mystery" of sorts, one of those old cold war super spy types who has adapted very well to the modern technological age. Inspired by Nick Fury
*, John Clark, John Lynch, Ben Santini, Sam Fisher, Holden Carver, James Bond and those awesome Dos Equis "most interesting man in the world" commercials."He's a lover, not a fighter, but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas""He once punched a magician. That's right. You heard me.""When he orders a salad, he gets the dressing right there on top of the salad, where it belongs...where there is no turning back."
* Yes, yes... I know... the eyepatch. What can I say? I like it. It looks cool. *shrugs*
• History •
Jack Niles Slayton was the second child of three born to Ruth Ann, a nurse, and Robert James Slayton, a decorated American soldier who went missing in battle during the final year of World War I. He was a clever child who adapted well to the rough Chicago neighborhood in which he grew up. After running with bad crowds throughout his teens, he sought purpose and enlisted in the Navy with the start of American involvement in World War II, rising quickly to the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer. In the European Theater of operations, Slayton led into Normandy a band of US Navy Underwater Demolition Teams (UDT), the precursor to Navy Seals.
Slayton remained on active duty through the Korean War, during which he was chosen for a classified mission that garnered him a battlefield commission and promotion to lieutenant. Slayton spied for various governments in Viet Nam in the 1950s, earning him the rank of captain and eventually a full-time appointment to the CIA's Strategic Services Unit (SSU). After spending most of the 1960's and 1970's working intelligence and black bag jobs within the CIA, Slayton retired under vague circumstances and disappeared from the public eye altogether, only to resurface in the 1980's as an operative within the mysterious organization known as 'The Midnight Squad'. The nature of his duties while associated with this organization remain unclear to this day. It is assumed he was involved in some manner of troubleshooting and acquistitions work, though, as it was during this period that he lost his right eye.
Since July of 1992, Slayton took to running a half-way house called "Operation: Nextep" he privately financed in the poorer neighbohoods of Paragon City's King's Row and Brickstown districts and seemed to have completely disconnected himself from world affairs (though it should be said that this is considered by some to have possibly been a front for other covert or vigilante activities... and indeed crime has dropped significantly in the neighborhoods in question). Whatever the case may be, everything in Slayton's life seems to have changed at the onset of the Rikti War, when Jack rejoined his friends in The Midnight Squad, battling the alien invaders.
Slayton was approached by his friend and former SCORPIO Executive Director Paul Grant in April of 2006 regarding the formation of SCORPIO and shortly returned to his roots as a field operative performing undercover work, special operations and recruitment as SCORPIO's Spec-Ops divisional captain... and has since become SCORPIO's current Executive Director.
(Strategic Command Objective for Research, Protection + Interdictive Operations)
An extra-governmental intelligence and security organization formed to meet the rising storm of exceptional threats beyond the usual scope of normal law enforcement and military forces. SCORPIO is dedicated to protecting the nations and peoples of Earth from terrorists and all technologically-advanced, extraterrestrial, psionic, superhuman, occult, paranormal and supernatural menaces, and often assists 'superhero' organizations in apprehending threats to national security and world peace.
Grant and Slayton built S.C.O.R.P.I.O. from the ground up as a streamlined agency small enough for them to personally oversee and protect from corruption. It has since very quickly grown into one of the world's most powerful paramilitary and intelligence protectorates, reaching covertly into national governments and forming strategic alliances with intelligence organizations and superhero groups... though always maintaining independence and deniability. Though distrusted and disdained on some levels by the somewhat boy-scout-ish superhero community, SCORPIO has become a valued contact when government-related information and jurisdiction is required to deal with a crisis.
Now that Paul Grant has left the organization, Slayton and the other SCORPIO Officers report solely to a secret international council referred to as "The Nine", made up of 'power players' whose identities remain unknown except to the presidents of the countries to which they belong. Though initially uncomfortable with this situation, Jack has since accepted it as he is afforded almost complete autonomy... which he considers a necessity in this line of work.
• Personality •
Slayton is a complex individual, most likely stemming from the experience, wisdom and insights gained thought his unusually long and action-filled life. A man of few words, he's a hard read. Though SCORPIO Psi Agents couldn't crack him during routine entry psych exams... other measures were employed to varying degrees of success. Tough, authoritative, analytical and very self-assured, he can also seem aloof and mysterious. He enjoys working in the background and is driven to always get the job done. As a covert agent, Slayton approaches his work in a brusque, no-nonsense manner, but maintains a relatively light-hearted relationship with his colleagues and sometimes with his momentary hostages... even when is about to kill them.
Jack hasn't much patience for political maneuvering or bureaucracy. A realist, he maintains a cynical and sarcastic sense of humor about the morally ambiguous nature of his work, yet he is also highly loyal and a staunch believer in the ideals his work ultimately protects. He is quickly angered by the casual killing of civilians or unarmed military personnel and police by his enemies.
Jack's semi-dark sense of humor seems to be a coping mechanism, his way of dealing with the tension that he feels during stealth operations and other missions. While he is very a competent and experienced soldier and operative, he is also sharply aware of his own limitations and mortality. He utilizes dry wit to help keep himself calm in the dangerous situations he is often called upon to enter.
Still strongly influenced by what he considers his 'formative' years, the 1950's and 60's, Slayton is still a bit of a ladies man and seems to enjoy women and scotch as much as he does his work... and always has plenty of both around when not on duty.
Slayton has secretly suffered from a mild form of Dissociative Identity Disorder, which first manifested in the early 1980's and he has had under tight control for close to twenty years due to a strict exercise and meditation regimen and strong medication.
- The presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states (each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self).
- At least two of these identities or personality states recurrently take control of the person's behavior.
- Inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.
• Abilities •
Jack Slayton has trained in the SEALS CQB, and is a weapons and demolitions expert and vehicle specialist. Slayton has also completed Green and Black Beret Special Forces training, and has been an agent of the Strategic Services Unit (SSU) and a liaison of the British Secret Intelligence Service (SIS). He is a seasoned unarmed and armed combat expert, and holds a black belt in Hapkido and has studied extensively in Wing Chun Gung Fu.
Jack's work relies at times upon non-detection and he is quite adept at blending into shadows and moving silently. He is able to sneak up on most enemies undetected and subdue them using either lethal or non-lethal means when he needs to do so.
Jack is a mutant, his genetic "gifts" reportedly first appearing in his twenties. His primary mutant power is the ability to absorb all forms of kinetic energy and store it within the cells of his body. This ability is passive, allowing him to absorb energy at all times. As a living conductor of bio-kinetic energies, his mutation has increased his speed, stamina, agility, and reflexes to the peak of natural human capability as well as enhanced durability, resistance to poison and injury... thus his aging process has been slowed to around
one-fifth that of a normal man and continues to slow further over time as more energies are stored. Now in his 90's, Jack looks to be around 40 years of age, though his hair has started going dark grey. In addition, this bio-kinetic energy creates a persistent static interference around his person, making him immune to most
Slayton also has the ability to concentrate his stored energy into his hands, manifesting as a bright glow around his clenched fists. So concentrated, his charged fists can smash into their targets with superhuman hardness and impact... delivering devastating, energy-enhanced blows, yet his hands remain impervious to pain and injury while charged.
• Equipment •
"The man with the best toys wins." - Jack Slayton
- Wrist Comm Unit:
- The SCORPIO wrist communications unit is an interesting technology developed by Singer Defense Systems for SCORPIO Agents. It is in essence a highly advanced computer capable of tracking mission data, interfacing with satellite scans and collected intelligence, providing a communications interface.
- Unit acts as a basic datapad, able to store and retrieve data from robotic systems/androids/etc., the SCORPIO database, other computers (via a direct link or wireless transceiver), comm signals, and standard datacards.
- Wrist link allows Jack to arm bombs and traps, detonate explosives, open base and teleportation portals, receive signals from his surveillance gear, and to summon and direct his Shield Drone.
- Head-Up Display (HUD):
- A transparent display that presents data without obstructing the user's view. Originally developed for military aviation.
- Visual capabilities of the unit are taxing on the power cell and need to be replaced after a month normal usage.
- Areas with strong electromagnetic interference render the unit's radar useless while the communications become unstable.
- Anti-Gravity Harness:
- Standard issue SCORPIO device located within the lining of Agents' 'stealth' harness and belt.
- Can be used on 'low' for greater jumping in combat, 'medium' for a sort of 'super' jump, and 'high' for flight. Follows directional touch control commands located in the palm of Agents' gloves.
- MediPort Beacon
- Monitors vital signs in the wearer and prompts a teleport to the nearest hospital in case of an emergency. Can also be activated manually.
- Black metal wand, cold to the touch. Glows with dark arcane energies that can be channeled into ranged targets. Based on the original foul magical artifact created by the Archmage Tarixus.
- Gifted to Jack from a friend in The Midnight Squad.
- Sands of Mu:
- Strange black sand that grants the ability to deal a flurry of punches charged with Negative Energy of the Netherworld While carrying it.
- Gifted to Jack from a friend in The Midnight Squad.
- S+W final edition 66 4" 357 combat revolver:
- Back-up piece. Jack has never really been that into pistols. He likes how light they are, but they are too weak and don't carry enough rounds. SCORPIO techs are working on something, though.
- Personal Cloaking Device (PCD):
- Enables an individual to become very nearly invisible to the naked eye, and extremely difficult to detect with normal sensing instrumentation.
- Various automatic specialty rifles:
- SCORPIO-exclusive Silenced Merc. Assault Weapon, the Singer R-77.
- Shield Drone:
- Stimulates the stored energies within Jack's body and grants him greater stamina. Also creates a weak, invisible forcefield around Jack's body.
- Customized SCORPIO uniform:
- 8-ply kevlar panels (able to withstand ballistic impact up to .45 caliber bullets)
- "Atlex 5" a fire-resistant material that withstand temperatures of up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Friends/Allies/Etc. •
- Colonel Hero - "Mack and I go way back... way back. He's the real deal, the genuine article. A true believer in truth, justice and the American way... I mean, it's what I believe in as well, but for Mack it's the absolute definition of who he is. I admit I like to rib him sometimes for being such a boyscout... but to tell the truth of it, when the shit comes down there's no one I've ever met who I'd rather have fighting alongside me... and considering the company I keep, that's saying one hell of alot. Too bad all he likes to do is go fishing in his time off... he'd be fun to sit and watch a ballgame with ... have some beers and some laughs."
- Cherry 9 (Rikki Jericho) - "I hand-picked Miss Jericho myself, based partly on the recommendations of Col. Lyon (Saints and I are comrades in arms and friends from a long time ago) but mostly due to the look in her eye when I finally met her... you know the look... hungry, yet utterly calculating and controlled. No surprise she's a Red Horse, and she hasn't disappointed me yet. She might just be better at what she does than any soldier I've met... or at least she will be... it's all about potential in this game and I'll be watching this one closely. I promoted her to Spec-Ops Captain as soon as I gained the upper hand with The Nine, and soon after to Deputy Director. She needed the push out of her comfort zone. Saints and I agree that the time is now. We have a lot riding on Jericho."
- Zero/The Cyphre (Simon Kollmorgan) - "It was at the end of a long and very successful string of raids on 5th Column bases that Pratt and I happened to have the great fortune of getting opportunity to destroy a huge underground Column science facility. As we moved through rooms lined with horrific-looking holding cells, we found a pretty badly beaten test subject who was deemed alive enough to viably rescue. Taking him to Nextep for rehabilitation, it soon became evident through some quiet investigation that our friend was in fact Simon Kollmorgan, an SAS special-operations agent who had gone missing a few years prior. Never one to miss an opportunity, I took Simon under my wing and over time convinced him to join Grey Razor, where he has since thrived under the codename 'Zero'."
"...with assistance to his aim by inborn telekinetic abilities, Simon is as deadly a marksman as you will ever meet, and more brutal than most. Like my son, Erik (aka 'Outrider'), Simon is a nearly perfect operative. Generally affable and good natured when not on an op, he has become a sort of friend and younger brother I wish I'd had. I recenetly convinced him to also join SCORPIO using the superheroic alias/codename 'Cyphre', as I needed someone I could trust to handle covert operations while Cherry and I are otherwise occupied. Disturbingly, like his genetic 'brother' Cole "The Hornet" Morgan, he seems to have taken to the life of a quasi-superhero a little too well. What is it with these guys?"
- Recoil (Simon Madrox, Simon Kollmorgan's clone) - "I met Recoil, a.k.a. "Simon Madrox" (an assumed name, of course... there is no record of any Simon Madrox in any database), by chance at a bar on the docks after finishing a classified op in the Rogue Isles. At first mistaking him for Kollmorgan, I nearly took his head off for taking what I thought was some sort of ill-advised practical joke way too far before I noticed little differences in appearance. This is one guy who has been through hell and back, same as his 'brother'.... but he's a bit off. Quite functional, but intense and given to bizarre speech and affect. Though officially a "villain", Madrox secretly fights the good fight (perhaps inadvertently... he seems to have tremendous disdain for 'evil-doers'... though he technically is one himself) in The Rogue Isles via his covert "Operatives Inc." organization, and is an unbelieveably good source of intel. I would have offered to have SCORPIO help fund his operations, but he seems to amassed quite a bit of wealth in his former occupation as a criminal. Skilled, deadly and clever. In a perfect world, he'd be a tremendous SCORPIO and Grey Razor asset, as is Zero/The Cyphre, but his unpredictability and irrational behavior make that an impossibility."
- The Hornet (Cole Morgan, Simon Madrox's clone) - "Of course, when I first came upon The Hornet it was assumed that we had located yet a second Kollmorgan clone, but that wasn't technically true. After further investigation into 5th Column cloning records, we were able to determine that after I had liberated Zero from their grasp, Column scientists mixed Madrox's cloned DNA with another mutant DNA source (to fill in the genetic gaps, we have come to understand) in order to further their 'Ubermenschen' project. The result is astonishing, to say the least (yet sadly not repeatable). A combatant on par with Colonel Hero, the genetically-enhanced Hornet is probably one of the top ten deadiest fighters I have ever met. His personality and disposition so similar to Zero's, I have come to trust The Hornet as a close ally."
- Rachel Johnston ((NPC)) - Rachel, a former police officer with the PPD, was seriously injured preventing an arson at Crey Industries. Both of her arms and one leg were amputated and she had little choice but to resign from the police force. In what was certainly nothing more than a slick PR move, Crey Industries provided her with experimental bionic limbs which restored her mobility, but also endowed her with superhuman strength. She soon met Brickstown hero Corina Cozma, aka "White Fox", and the two began fighting crime as a duo, most notably fighting organized crime in the Tokyo area. It was at then that she met Jack Slayton, who was on assignment. The chemistry between the two was instant and powerful. They can often be found in one another's company, either in public or behind closed doors, though both have been known to casually date others, and neither will admit to being an item.
- White Fox ((NPC)) - Fox, a.k.a. Corina Cozma, a fomer Romanian Intelligence Service (Serviciul roman de informatii, or SRI) Agent, operates as a costumed hero based out of Paragon City's Brickstown district. Goes by the name, "The White Fox". She met Slayton only a couple hours after her partner Rachel Johnston had, and it was bad blood from the start. Over time, Jack and Corina have worked together on a number of covert missions, and while they can't seem to agree on anything, they have found an intense sexual tension exists between the two of them... and have very nearly given into it on more than one occassion. Rachel is secretly aware of the situation and couldn't care less, but enjoys keeping it to herself as she enjoys watching Jack squirm when Corina is mentioned.
- Agent Mackenzie (Mackenzie Hill) - "Kenzie is special, at once exemplifying a model SCORPIO Agent as well as the kind of person that makes the world worth saving. With her sweet and often humorous disposition, you'd never guess that she also possesses hand-to-hand skills that easily place her in the leagues of Colonel Hero and The Hornet... yet without genetic enhancement. Impressive. She is also exactly the type of woman I stay the hell away from in my personal life. Sexy, full of sass and far too easy to fall for, she isn't merely the type of girl you want to take home at night and have your way with. She's also the kind that you find yourself glad to see there the morning after. Besides being old enough to be her great grandfather, I don't need that sort of complication... or even the desire for such a complication."
• Slayton Quotes •
- "It has been part of my chosen profession to kill other humans and various non-human beings who pose a threat to others, be it personally or in the broader context of this nation's security or in defending the planet. I have honestly never liked doing it... but when I have to kill, I do it to the best of my ability... and then make every effort to forget about it. (Scotch helps... as does the company of a beautfiul woman.)
As a naval officer and later as a covert agent it has been my duty to be as relaxed about the possibility of death as a surgeon. If it happened, it happened. Nothing to do about it. Regret is unprofessional... and even worse, it tears apart the mind and soul.
Yet... I kill so that others might live. I kill because somewhere in my soul I am a hardened man who revels in the thought of taking the lives of those who make evil their business... I am the wicked man that opposes other wicked men, in order that the good and the meek will inherit the earth.
After all my years, all that I have done... I have to conclude that to be a covert agent... even one who defends the ideals of liberty... one has no choice but to be a hypocrite." - Slayton's Personal Journal - Berlin 12.15.1993
- "I try to enjoy my life. If this means I imbibe in drink a little too often for some people's comfort... or that I am to be labeled a 'womanizer'... well then so be it. As a friend once said, in that effortlessly pointed and very British way of his, I have 'all of the fun and most of the good women'... but I tell you it's all a ruse. There aren't that many women, and I am far from being a drunk... I enjoy my scotch only when off-duty and I am rarely any more than slightly buzzed... a side effect of my 'unique' genetic gifts.
The way I see it, this world has a lot to offer, things to be savored... and that are otherwise wasted. The women I've known...? For a short time I do share my life and time with them... the bits that I can, anyhow... and they choose to share theirs with me. I value and honor the memory of that which we have shared and I cherish the time I've spent with each of them. But I do "move on", yes. No one will ever take the place of Kathren. No one ever could... and no one will ever get the chance, because I'd outlive them all anyhow.
So what about Rachel...? How does she fit in? Well, she doesn't. That's... heh... honestly?... that's probably going to become an issue for me sooner or later." - Slayton's Personal Journal - Paragon City 01.10.2008